What's the EFP?
The Tallgrass Film Association Class of 2023 Emerging Filmmaker Program (EFP) is a program for local students from 8th grade through seniors in high school. Age range runs from 13-18. Applications for the current year are now closed. Please check back in early 2024 for next year’s application.
Our 2023 EFPs will have the opportunity to learn from and interact with professionals in the film industry, covering a wide range of topics including: film criticism, directing, producing, screenwriting, audio production, lighting, camera technique, video editing and more.
Our EFPs will be provided hands-on learning opportunities, including:
- Screening and reviewing more than 125 movies submitted by their peers to the 21st Annual Tallgrass Film Festival (Oct 5-8). These reviews will help shape the Joel Fein Emerging Filmmakers Shorts Program at the festival
- Producing promotional videos for the Tallgrass Film Festival
- Producing a short film to be submitted to the festival
Successful students will receive an all-access TALLPass in exchange for their participation in the program, as well as an additional all-access pass for a parent or guardian.
Sponsored by Jeff and Janice Van Sickle.
- Applications for the EFP class of 2023 are now closed and students have been notified.
- Classes begin on June 3rd.
- Classes will start on June 3rd and are held Saturdays from 2-4 pm through Saturday, August 12.
- Students selected for the 2023 session will have a good deal of influence over the topics covered each week.
- Classes will be held at the Tallgrass Film Center (120 East 1st North, Suite 113) unless otherwise noted in the schedule given to students on the first day of class.
- Production dates will be provided to class members during the first day of class.
NOTE: The program was previously called the Emerging Programmer Apprenticeship program (EPA). We are rebranding this year, but we think this video helps explain a portion of what the program demonstrates.