Tallgrass Is Now Accepting Submissions for the 2019 Tallgrass Film Festival
Tallgrass Film Association (TFA) announces the call for submissions for the 16th annual Tallgrass Film Festival, October 16-20, 2019 in and around downtown Wichita, Kansas.
Tallgrass has been included in MovieMaker Magazine’s annual “50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee” for the last five years.
Films should be submitted through FilmFreeway.
- January 7, 2019 Opening Date
- April 8, 2019 Earlybird Deadline
- May 6, 2019 Regular Deadline
- June 10, 2019 Late Deadline
- July 8, 2019 Extended Deadline
- October 16 – 20, 2019 Event Date
- Early Bird Deadline: $40/$30 student
- Regular Deadline: $50/$40 student
- Late Deadline: $100/$75 student
- Extended Deadline: $125/$100 student
- Early Bird Deadline: $15
- Regular Deadline: $25
- Late Deadline: $50
- Extended Deadline: $75
Awards & Prizes:
Tallgrass Film Festival will grant cash awards in the following categories:
- Audience Award Winning Documentary Feature: $2,500
- Audience Award Winning Narrative Feature: $2,500
- Stubbornly Independent Gala Winner: $5,000, as well as a gala screening and one-of-a-kind Tallgrass tap handle
- Audience Award Winning Short Documentary Film: $1,000
- Audience Award Winning Short Narrative Film: $1,000
- DOX Spotlight: $1,500, as well as a Spotlight screening and an award
- Best Kansas Filmmaker Documentary Short Film: $500
- Best Kansas Filmmaker Narrative Short Film: $500
Non-cash special recognition awards include:
- Golden Strands Awards (awarded by Tallgrass Programming Directors) for Outstanding Documentary, Narrative Feature, Short Films and more
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Short Film
Rules & Terms:
- Films must have been completed after January 2017. Some exceptions will be considered for non-domestic releases.
- Online screeners from secure sources are preferred. Include screener link and password in your submission.
- 2 submission preview copies of the film are required if you are submitting on disc media (DVD).
- Press kit is optional - electronic only, please
- A Wichita premiere is required. World and US Premieres are not required, however premieres (especially Kansas premieres) are preferred and premiere status may be one of the factors considered when determining a film's inclusion in the Festival.
- The festival does not screen films available on VOD or any online streaming portal at the time of the festival. However, the festival reserves the right to make exceptions to this rule.
- All films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for festival presentation.
- The festival will consider work-in-progress, films with temporary soundtracks, digital outputs, and work that did not originate on film. Filmmakers must deliver final format (as indicated) for Festival screening. No exceptions will be permitted.
- Fees are waived for any Kansas and Emerging Filmmakers under their respective categories with proper identification and qualifications.
- Emerging Filmmaker films MUST be works written, directed, and shot by high school age students – 18-YEARS OLD AND YOUNGER. This category is not for university or college filmmakers. Adult supervision is limited to advisory capacity. Emerging filmmakers must submit a valid high school identification (student id, school record, passport, drivers license or official identification that includes date of birth) to receive the fee waiver and to be eligible for this category. Please provide this in your submission or in a separate email to email@example.com.
- For each major cast/crew Kansas connection, please include name, job title, and Kansas connection city. Please provide this in your submission or in a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kansas Filmmaker films are eligible for festival prizes, if the film is accepted as an “in competition” screening in the festival.
Screening/Presentation Terms of Agreement:
- Tallgrass Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
- The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
- The individual or corporation submitting the film shall indemnify and hold harmless Tallgrass Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
- Should your film be accepted, we ask permission to keep a copy of the film for our festival library. This request is voluntary and is not conditional. The copy of the film in the TFF library will not be used for profit. Should we consider re-screening the film for a public paid event, we will notify individuals or corporations representing the film for permission and conditions.
- Packaging - ship your media in a bubble-pack envelope whenever possible. If you must use a fiber pack, please wrap the media with protective material. The festival is not responsible for damage to tapes incurred in shipping.
- Costs and labeling - all shipping costs to and from Wichita must be borne by the sender. All discs must indicate title, shipper's name, and FilmFreeway tracking number.
- International entries - all entries from outside the US should be sent Airmail Registered or by a parcel express service. We cannot accept entries shipped via air-freight if customs and delivery fees have not been paid.