About the Emerging Programmer Apprenticeship Program
As a member of the Tallgrass Film Festival Emerging Programmer Apprenticeship Team you will influence whether a film makes it into the festival. Specifically, you will play an integral role in programming the Joel Fein Emerging Filmmaker Program (films made by filmmakers 18 and younger), as well as an in-school festival screening. You will also deliberate on the Best Emerging Filmmaker Short Film Awards.
In addition, the 2018 EPA Program will include the following educational components:
• Filmmaking Workshop Series – with local and visiting filmmakers, focusing on local and national resources and filmmaking techniques.
• Hands-on Filmmaking Lab to produce PSAs for the 2018 Tallgrass Film Festival.
- Access to learning opportunities at Shocker Studios for more hands-on filmmaking experiences.
• Instruction and mentorship from Tallgrass Programmers including film introductions and filmmaker Q&A tutorials.
• Opportunity to participate in the 2018 Tallgrass Film Festival.
• Exclusive interactions with the Tallgrass Filmmaker Advisory Board members.
Being an EPA requires a substantial commitment (approximately 100 hours in around 6 months). Please review the following responsibilities, details and proposed schedule provided:
• Attend the group screening sessions, meetings, workshops, filmmaking labs. Please see proposed tentative schedule.
• Watch and review high school films available for online screening.
• Complete (at least 100) reviews of short and feature films, with helpful and thoughtful comments.
• Participate in the filmmaking labs to create PSAs for the 2018 Tallgrass Film Festival.
• Regularly check email and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
• Keep screening of films confidential!
• Share information about TFA events and opportunities on social media and on campus.
• Attend the Tallgrass Film Festival, October 17-21, 2018.
• Volunteer a minimum of 8 hours for the Festival. These hours can be split between pre-fest, festival and post-fest work.
In return, EPAs get the chance to view the films they helped select, at the Festival, October 17-21, 2018. You will receive an EPA Pass for the festival, plus one TALLPass for a parent or guardian. In some circumstances, this program may be considered for volunteer hours (based on your school’s requirements.) Please bring in any forms/paperwork and discuss with Tallgrass Staff.